There were just 13 students in the class of 1930, down
four from the class of 1929, so it would at first appear that
Godwin had more teachers than students, and those shown are
just the female teachers. But of course the school was growing
rapidly during the late 1920s and 1930s, and no matter how fast
the system added new buildings and additions there was never
There were five students in the class of 1927 - all women, and 13 to 17 students in the classes by 1930. But taking a look at the seventh grade, on page 18, one sees that the area around Godwin was building up fast, and the class of 1930 was in a sense a transitional period between a farming area and a more commercial and industrial area. By the end of the 1930s class sizes would reach 80 and more, by the early 1950s, North, South, and West elementary schools would be built to accommodate the large number of new students in the area. The growth had outstriped the ability of just one location to handle all of the students. At that point Godwin had become a true system.
A clearer copy of the photograph of the teachers can be found in section "T".
Robert Van Portfleet lived on Wexford Street after graduation. His son Bobby later attended Godwin.