Frank Bartels was the last of a group of school board members that served for serveral decades. He was a board member in 1929 already, and in at least his 23 year by 1951. At one time he owned a produce farm on the south side of 36th street, between Jefferson Avenue and Eastern Avenue. It was probably taken over when that stretch of 36th was closed in order to expand the old airport. He was also involved in the development of the area in various ways.