Class of 1947
-------------



1947 Class Annual

Edna (Carpenter) Keyes, class of 1934, and Forrest Keyes, class of 1932, provided access to the annual.



Left click on the image below for a larger version.

Class photo provided for scanning by Jalene (Doxtator) Beattie, class of 1947.


Note: In the 1940s the school papers often used paper sizes other than 8.5 x 11. Unfortunately, that is the largest a typical home scanner can accommodate. As a result, in many case the pages had to be scanned in halves, not always leading to pleasing effects, but, as usual, better than nothing.



December 13, 1946, Live Wire

Left click on an image for a larger version.

1 2 3 4

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.



February 7, 1947, Live Wire

Left click on an image for a larger version.

1 2 3 4

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.



March 7, 1947, Live Wire

Left click on an image for a larger version.

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.



May 2, 1947, Live Wire

Left click on an image for a larger version.

1 2 3 4

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.



May 29, 1947, Live Wire

Left click on an image for a larger version.

1 2 3 4

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.



( Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948. )

Just when and why the name of the school paper was changed from "Godwin News" to "Live Wire" is unclear. It was the Godwin News back to the mid 1930s at least.



Left click on the image below for a larger version.

Dorothy M. Thomas and class mascot "Spirit."

137 34th Street.



Class Day, June 3, 1947

Left click on an image for a larger version.

Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948.




1947 Commencement Program


Left click on an item below for a larger version.

( Material provided by Lee Neugent, class of 1948. )



1947 Class Napkin




Life after Godwin



Left click on the image below for a larger version.

Jalene (Doxtator) Beattie at a class of 1947 women's breakfast, May 16, 1994.



Left click on the image below for a larger version.


Right, Dale Heyboer, at a Kentwood Historic Preservation Commission meeting, February 23, 2006.

Dale Heyboer still owns a centennial farm, a farm in the same family for 100 years or more, on 52nd Street. One of only a handful of working farms in the area east of Kalamazoo now, out as far as 84th Street or more.

Dale attended Smith school ( see section "O" for more on Smith school ) until the 8th grade or so, and then had to figure out how to get to Godwin each day. At about 5 miles one way, a truly formidable walk, even in the days when people were generally more accustomed to walking, Dale would instead often get a ride with someone in the area who was on their way to work. During those years 52nd Street, east of Kalamazoo, was still all farm land. Arriving earlier than classes began, Henry Carpenter, school engineer and also owner of The Coffee Shop, would let students like Dale come inside in the winter to escape the cold.

Left click on the image below for a larger version.

Dorothy Thomas.

Photo provided for scanning by Jalene (Doxtator) Beattie, class of 1947.



Deceased members of the class of 1947 as of 2012

ATKINS, FORREST

BERRY, VERN

BULTMAN,DOLORES (KENT)

BLEAM, ARTHUR

BURBANK, VIRGIL

CADY,NORMA (RANDALL)

CARTRIGHT, ELDA (CHRISTMAN)

DEMMINK, TED

Doxtator, Jalene

EBELS, JOHN

FOOTE, GERALDINE (BARTZ)

GOCHENOUR, MILDRED (HAAPALA)

HAMPLE, FRANCIS

MARVEL HASKEL (VOOGD)

DALE HEYBOER - October 9, 2008

JAMES HOULIHAN

WARD KEGERREIS

CHARLES McBRIAN

MARION NORRIS (FEENSTRA)

GERALDINE LEMMON (METZGER)

MARGARET HOUSE (PANTELIN)

VIRGINIA McDONALD

MILDRED NEILSON (SANFORD)

EUGENE ROOD

WILLIAM SARGENT

BARBARA SORENSON (GROSE)

ROBERT SMYTH

DOROTHY THOMAS (DeWITT)

WILLIAM VANDERMOLEN

DON WALL

JACK WRIGHT

EUGENE YORK

THATS IT AS FAR AS WE KNOW BARNEY OLDFIELD